Counselling Therapy for PTSD and Complex Trauma
Contact: Crystal- p.604 340 4529
“We’re not on our journey to save the world but to save ourselves. But in doing that you save the world.” Joseph Campbell.
- Have you been told by a physician that you suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome PTSD.
- Do you suffer from flashbacks, nightmares, depression, feeling too much, or feeling numb?
- Do you find yourself repeating patterns that cause emotional distress for you and your family?
- Do you struggle to regulate your feelings often being accused of being moody or easily irritated or angered?
- You find yourself participating in behavior, or substance use to help with these symptoms.
- You may find that you have difficulty in relationships due to past or early trauma. You may find yourself re enacting traumatic themes from your past in your present day life.
- You may feel shut off, or so numb that you don’t find yourself feeling at all any more.
- You use behaviors to help you cope with these distressing symptoms like substance abuse, or other addictive behaviors to reduce the anxiety?
- These symptoms are part of the brain’s and nervous systems way of trying to release stored emotion. It’s also the brains way making sense of a disturbing event that could not be fully processed during the time of the event. Sometimes when a person experiences fight flight freeze response over and over again, the secondary emotions of hurt, shame, or fear (as an example) are pushed down without a way to release. Until a person can release these trapped feelings, their distressing symptoms remain.
Enter EMDR ( Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) a modality that effectively and quite miraculously permits controlled processing in a safe way.
I am a certified EMDRIA approved EMDR therapist. I use EMDR for substance abuse, complex and post traumatic stress. I also draw on Internal Family Systems, parts work, and Dialectic Behavior Therapy to help with preparation and dissociate symptoms
EMDR has been deemed by the world health authority as one of the top modalities for PTSD.
People come to me to get relief from these symptoms as well as eliminate PTSD triggers.
For some people the trauma has been more complicated and ongoing, either childhood trauma that is repeating in themes and relationships, or is work related. I also work with you to relieve childhood memories that are interfering with meeting your goals.
Video provided by EMDRIA (EMDR International Association).
Other Counselling Services Provided:
- Trauma counselling ( Complex PTSD, war, refugee, medical)
- First Responders
- Car Accidents
- Veteran Affairs (Provider for Medavie).
- Coping Behaviors such as emotional eating, all addictions, self harm.
- Family of origin concerns ( childhood sexual & physical abuse, neglect).
- ACA/ ACOA AA /counselling/ 12 Step work.
- Behavior and substance addictions
- Relationship concerns
- Marriage and Couples counselling
- Depression and anxiety
- Teen Counselling
- Family Counselling
Consulting Services/ Educator for Trauma Informed Practice and PTSD
- Consulting services for mental health professionals working with complex trauma, PTSD .
- Consulting services for Trauma Informed Practice
- Group Facilitator for Making Sense of Trauma Phase
- Workshops on Trauma Informed Practice
- Educator for Concurrent Disorders/Complex Trauma/PTSD
- Consulting for Concurrent Disorders
- Consulting for EMDR
To make an appointment please call Crystal 604 340 4529